The Kreeger Museum

Kreeger_Museum

While we were in DC during the Thanksgiving holiday, we had the amazing opportunity to get a private tour of the Kreeger Museum. The former home of David and Carmen Kreeger, the building was designed by architect Philip Johnson and Richard Foster with the couple’s growing art collection in mind. In 1994 the home became what it was pre-destined to become, open to the public with the incredible collection that the Kreeger’s had lovingly amassed.

David Kreeger was 43 when he bought his first painting and with Carmen, the collection grew to include multiple works from Monet, Renoir, Pissarro, Picasso, Kandinsky and Miró as well as Clyfford Still, Frank Stella, Henry Moore and Alexander Calder, to name just a few.

de4409

Photo via Kreeger Museum  – David and Carmen Kreeger in the salon of their home. Behind them on the wall hang The Frost, 1873-74, by painter Alfred Sisley and Venice—Fog, 1881, by Auguste Renoir. Visible on the credenza are two works by Romanian sculptor Constantin Brancusi. Photograph taken in 1978 by Razi Yitzchak.

Comments Closed

Comments for this post are now closed.